University of Saskatchewan
aodbt was engaged by the University of Saskatchewan to complete the design for a major laboratory expansion and renovation to the Thorvaldson Building on Campus. Due to the complex nature of the program, the layout of the existing building, and the restricted size of the site, this facility was completed in numerous stages after providing a master plan for the proposed requirements. aodbt worked closely with the University personnel in engaging users of the facility to finalize the program requirements and stickhandle approvals of design solutions. The first stage was an upper level Link to the Arts Building. A second phase added a Loading Dock that contained hazardous material storage. The largest phase of the project, the Spinks Addition, is located to the northeast of the existing Thorvaldson 1966 Wing. The new building houses office space, communal student areas, and teaching and research labs for general chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, physical, environmental and analytical chemistry at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Other phases of this project encompass interior development of space for the Department of Computer Sciences, as well as further renovations within the 1966 Wing for the Department of Chemistry and various reroofing of existing buildings. The final phase of this project involved the completion of the design for the renovations to accommodate the Department of Computer Science in the 1924 Wing.